Saturday, May 28, 2011

My life is interfering with my LIFE

If one were to ask me what I want to "do with my life", I would first tell them that that is my least favorite question of all time.  Second I would tell them that I am sixteen years old and I tend to change my mind a lot, and that I don't often plan things.  Third I would tell them that, with the afore-mentioned facts in mind, all I want to do is dance.  That I love to dance, and I posses some talent in the area, and that I don't know what I'd do with myself if I wasn't able to dance.  Dancing is my life.

That being said; dance gets in the way of everything.

At the peak of my schedule this year, I was in the dance studio four days of the school week for classes.  I often had Saturday rehearsals for the competition team and I would go in to the studio on my own on Sundays to practice my solos.  The only weekends I didn't practice were the weekends that I spent away at competitions.  I often logged 14 hours a week in the studio.

Don't get me wrong, I did all that willingly and I enjoyed myself.  But I also missed out on a lot.

I'm in high school.  I watch my friends plan for parties and sleepovers and shopping trips and movie dates.  And I get invited to these things!  But who can never go?  Me.  I never go to school dances because they're always on Friday evenings and Friday is the one day I cannot skip class because I am the teacher.  I was really excited to go to the last dance of the year because it's on a Thursday evening this year.  However, last Thursday class was cancelled due to an impending tornado and hail storm.  Not a big deal?  Well, I've missed the three previous Thursdays for mandatory school events.  I don't know the endings to any dances and our recital is two weeks away.  Guess who isn't going to the school dance?  Me, again.

My friend invited me to a party a few weeks ago with the invitation, "Sam and I are having a party on Saturday and he said I should invite you.  I him that I would but that you probably had something dance-ish going on.  Can you come?".  I couldn't...I had dance.

So like I said, I love dance and all I want to do is dance.  Dance is my life.  But I've reached the point where my life is interfering with my LIFE.  I regret nothing, and there's no turning back now because, "When you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance"!

2 comments: