Saturday, October 20, 2012

The MRI Machine

I got an MRI yesterday.  It was terrible!  Have you ever gotten an MRI?  No?  Well, my friend, let me enlighten you on some rules that I wish I had know.

First order of business.  When you go to get an MRI do not wear a bright blue thong under your jeans.  Why?  Because the MRI machine is a giant magnet (I was aware of this, just not thinking when I got dressed.  Always think.) so you are not allowed to wear anything metal inside of it.  Pants zippers included.  So, when you have a zipper on your jeans the doctor will give you a pair of scrub-type pants to wear.  And if they happen to be a white-ish, see-through color, everyone will gain the knowledge of your bright blue thong.  Similarly, the hooks on a bra count so unless you wish to free-boob it through the hospital, you might want to consider a sports bra.

Next.  The doctor will probably tell you that the machine is "a little noisy".  She is lying, unless her definition of "a little noisy" means the same volume as a jackhammer jackhammer-ing on a bus full of pre-teen school children who are on their way home from the soda and marshmallow factory.  The machine basically makes the same buzzing sound that a drier makes when the clothes are dry, only much louder and pretty much non-stop.

Finally, just be aware that it takes a long freaking time.  I was in there for an hour, which is probably standard.

So why in the world did I have an MRI?  It's to hopefully clear up once and for all what is happening to my feet.  The doctor wants to completely rule out fractures (I highly doubt they are fractured) before proceeding with any course of treatment.  I see her next week to go over what's happening, so I'll update again then.

No comments:

Post a Comment