Saturday, June 25, 2011

Rubberband Girl

My nick-name is Mary Kate.  My given name is Mary Katherine (insert whatever last name sounds good, as I am not giving out my last name on the internet).  My parents call me Mickey, my teachers call me Mary, until I correct them, my friends call me Mary Kate or MK and sometimes, people call me Rubberband Girl.

That sounds really awkward, huh?  "Hey there, Rubberband Girl!"--Wouldn't you do a double take if you heard that in the hallway?  Well, there is a logical reason behind it.

Freshman year (I'll be a junior when school begins in September) I did the solo I competed with at my school's talent show.  It was an acro solo to Kate Bush's song "Rubberband Girl".  The song is super old, as in, came-out-before-I-was-born old.  I stumbled across it when I was watching a youtube video of the SYTYCD dance to "Woman's Work".  On SYTYCD they used a cover by Maxwell, but originally the song was sung by Kate Bush.  When I listened to that version I saw "Rubberband Girl" in the sidebar and absolutely had to listen to it.  It was honestly one of the weirdest songs (and music videos) I've ever heard in my life.  It was also perfect for my solo song...being that I am basically a rubberband!

So I performed my solo at the talent show...and I won!!  The prize was $100 in cash!  I was so excited.  But, ever since then, I am referred to as "Rubberband Girl" at least once a week.  This past year, when I did one of my current solos in the talent show (also acro, to a song called "Yesterday"--a rough video is on youtube) the announcer actually referred to me as "Rubberband Girl" hahaha!

This might have seemed like a random post, but I went to a party tonight and this guy, Fernando, called me Rubberband Girl and it was the first time I've heard that since school let out, and it was on my mind when I sat down to write this post.

***There is a video of my solo on my youtube channel***

No comments:

Post a Comment