Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Mind Only Choreographs What I Can't Complete

Sometimes I have these big visions.  I hear a piece of music and imagine exactly what I would do with it from a choreography stand point.  I even see costumes and lighting; I envision the entire performance within the first time I hear such a song.  Other times, however, I hear a song that I could never, ever, choreograph a piece to.  I wouldn't even try.  I never consider dancing to a song that doesn't move me the first time I hear it (that being said, if I listen to 100 songs, 97 of them will move me in some way).  I have a problem though.

Nearly every time I choreograph a piece in my head it is a duet.  One guy, one girl, dancing together.  And for everything I'm imagining the guy (the guy is more specific than the girl...although I usually see myself dancing in each piece, and tend to see choreography first around my own abilities) as a strong and talented male dancer.  The problem?  Yeah...none of them exist within miles of my hometown.  And if they do someone else must have already discovered them and hid them away from me and the rest of the world.

In the words of my best friend and fellow dancer "My mind only choreographs what I can't complete".  I guess I just need to re-train my brain to choreograph to what I have to work with in that instance...not what I wish I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment